Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Kid Day...


So, I promised pics of Kid Day. Well, there you go! "What...only one picture? Ummmm..."


Thats right. One picture. Kid Day turned into Training Day around here. Which apparently we needed more than a fun day!
Before I go into detail, let me preface this my saying that I had been feeling slightly convicted (for lack of a better word) about only posting "good" things on here. I don't want to give the false impression that everything here is peachy and perfect. Far from it! There are 4 sinners living in this house...things are not perfect and I don't want to portray that by only posting the "happy" things. Honestly, I don't want to remember a whole lot of the "other" things that go on around here and I hope my boys will forget many of them too. Yes, I know it is my life right now, embrace it, cherish it, blah, blah, blah. God, in His mercy and undeserving GRACE towards me, is working a lot of junk out of my heart. And I'm thankful for it, but it is not fun!

So, back to Kid Day. By the way, Kid Day is a day for us to simply Celebrate our Kids! I know, everyday is Kid Day, but this is the equivalent of Mother's/Father's Day around here. (maybe it's just an excuse for a summer celebration since their birthdays are during crazy busy winter months?) We wake up to sugary, "not usually allowed" cereal, which has been Lucky Charms both years (aka "Punichello cereal" as Caden calls it, from Max Lucados childrens book) and a few little gifts. This year we had planned to go to Mountasia (with free coupons!!) which Caden just discovered and loves! Also to Olympic Park with a picnic and the Childrens Museum. Ritas's water ice and dinner at our favorite pizza place were to round out the day!

We had a nice morning, enjoyed breakfast and made it into the car and down the road a couple of miles when the day fell apart! Caden decided that he did not want to change an attitude, did not respond well to correction and before we knew it our "we're going to turn around and go home" had to be enforced. DARN IT! Brad and I were so bummed because we were excited about the day, but we had to let him know that we were serious. Parenting is so NOT FUN sometimes. He didn't think we would really go home and was very upset when we did. And the rest of the day was one way-too-long correction/training session! The sun broke through the clouds in our house, late afternoon and we did a family bike ride to Rita's for Water Ice, but then those pesky clouds returned soon after, canceling our dinner plans! grrrrrrrrrrr.... Must have been all the sugar!

I hate this part of parenting, but I'd rather establish these things now and not in later years so we can be enjoying one another then! Parenting has taught me SO MUCH about myself. Especially as I relate to my Heavenly Father and my own need for discipline, correction and training. I'm so thankful He shows me unending mercy and grace, is forever patient and always wanting the best for me. That is what I want to reflect to my boys!
As for Kid Day...we'll do the outings another time and maybe next year will be better! ;-)

1 comment:

Marc, Jaimee, Ben and Liam said...

You guys are great parents! I hate it when they make us follow through with a discipline consequence... bummer! But it sounds like you all made the best of it! Cute picture!
love,
JMBb
p.s. Please just don't say, "We're not going to Disney if you..."!