Saturday, August 23, 2008

Looks like I'll be doing some reading here...

Allergy Kids.com

We knew Owen had an egg allergy and had been warned to stay away from peanuts for a few years.

Well, we can officially add peanuts to his allergy list!

DARN IT!!!

Not too long ago, I was talking with my mom about all the kids she had in her classes with peanut allergies and how glad I was to not have that to deal with. Shouldn't have opened my big mouth.

I'm trying to be thankful that I'm not dealing with anything more serious, because I know there are far more challenging things to deal with, but I'm still bummed. We discovered it when he threw up very quickly after I gave him a bite of cookie with peanut butter in it! Praise God for his amazing design of the human body and how quickly Owen got it out of his system! About the same time he threw up he started getting red splotches around his eyes from rubbing his eye with his hand. This was within 2-3 minutes of eating it! All I could think about the rest of the night was how I now have the kid that you have to be SUPER careful around all the time! At least with homeschooling I don't have to worry about sharing sandwiches, peanut m&ms, peanut butter cookies, etc at lunch! I think I might just tattoo a peanut with a big circle around it and line threw it on Owen 's hand! And maybe do an egg with the same on the other hand! ;-)Thankfully, Caden is very in tune with the whole allergy thing! He said "Mom, if you had told me those cookies had peanut butter in them, I would have told you not to give it to him!" And, he is probably right! He is already very good about protecting Owen from eggs! I think part of my brain got left on vacation as I have not been with-it these past few weeks. (No, I'm not pregnant! ;-)

Oh well...Just one more way to learn to Trust God concerning my boys, I guess.
Being a momma is tough sometimes!

4 comments:

Marc, Jaimee, Ben and Liam said...

Poor Owie! Hopefully he'll outgrow these... is that possible?

Momma to Two said...

Oh bummer!!! Would be GREAT if they could grow out of these allergies? So do you have to get him allergy tested? Was it able to be cleared up with Benedryl?
Kristen Collins

Anonymous said...

Hey Kristen! Long time, no chat...my fault-sorry. Yes, the benedryl helped quickly! Thankfully we are yet to try out the epi-pen! There was a chance of out growing the egg allergy, but I don't think the peanut one can be outgrown, but I'm not sure. He was tested and found positive for egg. I'm not sure if they tested for peanut or not...just warned us to stay away 'til about 3!~Kristin~

I'm Erin. said...

Kristin,
Thanks for your comment on my blog...I will definitely check out those websites.
Here's hoping that our little guys never have to use their epi-pens!
Erin